Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Two "Pretty Wild" Lessons Learned (Part 1)




So a few months ago I got to work on the pilot episode of E! Network's newest show "Pretty Wild." It was a whole bunch of lessons learned in one night of shooting. Being pretty green in the fashion photo world I was a bit nervous. But luckily I had some amazing help on the shoot with me. Two of my highly talented friends that are quite successful in the biz, Maria Carmel and Robert Dahey. I definitely utilized them as much as I could, and given that it was reality television and we waited for about 3 hours till they were ready for us. So during that time my team and I were looking at every nook and cranny to see what furniture or areas we wanted to shoot in. That worked out well for everyone because when it came time for me to shoot we knew exactly where we needed to be. So once all that was said and done my first lesson was learned, communication with the talent unbelievably important. In my head before the shoot I was thinking I didn't wanna screw up, I wanted the pictures to be stellar and this shoot could have a lot of potential for my career. But none of those things are really possible if I couldn't make the models comfortable. After working and watching some great photographers do there thing, I think it is safe to say that you have to find your own way to this promise land. No one can tell you how you are going to best work with your talent. It is something personal you have to figure out. the more you shoot, the easier it will be to find that. Also it was great to work with two of the stars of the show, Tess Taylor and Alexis Neiers. These girls did a great job!! Again shooting in these conditions was kinda hard. Everyone had their own schedule to meet and I wanted to get the best photos I could, but I didn't get very much time with the girls per look. So that is why you really need to find your way to connect with the talent because you never know how much time you may have with them. Even if it is a quick little comment that puts a smile on their face. That will most likely make them feel comfortable, cause who doesn't like to laugh??!? And then both of you can move past the awkward phase and get to making some cool photos. So as far as the pictures go, I think we definitely got what the show was looking for. Here are some of the pics from the shoot. Oh and I have to give some more ups to my girl Maria Carmel for helping me out with the post work. So part 1 of the "Pretty Wild" shoot is to really hone your skills at connecting with the talent. In a few days we will continue with part 2.




No comments:

Post a Comment